Stripe (https://stripe.com/gb ) has been making a name for itself recently with its low fees and ‘cool’ co-founders, it has grown to become one of the most popular online payment systems. Pushing their clear pricing and easy integration it’s not hard to see why!
- No setup, hidden or setup fees
- 1.4% + 20p for European cards
- 2.9% + 20p for non-European cards
- Clear pricing, with no hidden fees
- Real-time reporting
- Competitive rates on European cards
- They have email-based customer support and recently launched phone customer support where you can log in and receive 24/7 help
- TrustPilot reviews are only average
- Fees for debit cards and non-European cards are higher than some other options
- Transfers arrive in your bank on a 7-day bases, which is slower than many competitors
Worldpay (https://www.worldpay.com/uk) is the largest payment processing company in the UK, handling over 40% of all card transactions. They are available in 146 countries, accept 126 different currencies and allow you to accept all major credit and debit cards, as well as PayPal!
- Pay as you go: Online set-up fee £25, 10p per transaction gateway fee, transaction authorisation fees apply
- Fixed monthly: Monthly package fee from £49.99 includes transactions up to a set amount and authorisation fees
- Standard: Monthly online payments gateway fee of £19.95, 10p per transaction gateway fee, PCI annual management fee £29.99
- Pay By Link: £9.95 per month
- Transaction % rates is based on monthly card turnover
- There are a number of pricing plans available to suit you and your business
- They accept all major credit and debit cards as well as PayPal
- To ensure you and your customers are protected all payments are secure with fraud screening
- They offer 24/7 customers support via telephone and email
- Their pricing structures are hidden and not available publicly as they depend on your volume and business type, however you can request a quote
- They have mixed reviews on Trustpilot
PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/uk/home) is likely to be one of the names that comes to mind when thinking of online payments. They claim that over 20 millions UK shoppers use PayPal yearly and that 7 million businesses worldwide use their platform to accept payments.
- Transaction fees from 1.9% + 20p per transaction (for sales volumes up to £55,000 per month) up to 3.4% + 20p per transaction (for sales volume under £1500 per month).
- They also offer bespoke pricing options for larger businesses
- Monthly fees: Free (Web Payments Standard or Express Checkout) or £20 per month (Web Payments Pro)
- Customers can pay with their PayPal account directly
- The checkout is optimised for mobile
- There is built in fraud protection
- They accept international payments
- They have email as well as phone customer support
- Fees can be high for merchants with low sale volume
- They get bad reviews on Trustpilot
SagePay (https://www.sagepay.co.uk) offers a full range of solutions for online and offline businesses. Around 55,000 businesses use their services and are the only company to offer flat monthly fees for many of their products with no transaction fees.
- Flex: £20.90 per month, 350 transactions per month, eInvoice and phone payments included
- Plus: £45 per month, 500 token purchases per month, they accept a range of local European Payment types
- Simple checkout integration
- Plans are charged at a flat monthly fee with no transaction charges
- They have excellent Trustpilot reviews
- 24/7 customer support vi email and phone (phone calls cost 2p per minute)
- You need a bespoke quote if you get more than 3000 transactions a month
- Requires a certain amount of technical knowledge to get it working
Bookalet integrates all of these payment gateways, along with a number of others.
Hopefully this gives you a bit of a steer when choosing your payment gateway, ultimately the choice depends on your needs!